Monday, September 04, 2006

You know what makes me crazy? I mean besides old age and mental-pause? It's how people are always saying you don't look 49, or she looks good for her age, or you can tell she must have been really pretty when she was young.

It's like saying to a fat girl, "You have such a pretty face."
I don't see it as an insult. Just a very shallow view of a person.

One of my childhood memories is a family picnic at our house.
My Dads' brothers, wives and kids were all there and I heard my Uncle Edgar say to me "Your Mom was sure a looker in her day". She must have been all of 45 or so. He said it in front of my Mom too and she smiled. Eight kids later and a blue collar pay check each week, she didn't have nice clothes or get her hair done anymore.

Jessica Tandy, is one of my favorite actors. I didn't really know she existed until she was older and did so many great films. Now I see older films and recognize her in them and she was a beautiful woman, at every age. But most of all she was a superb actress. My Mom was a superb woman. She worked hard, cared for everyone young and old, family, other relatives and strangers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home